Friday, 6 April 2012

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan


My Thoughts: 

I just need to say first off that this book is definitely not for the faint-hearted. It’s full of creepy Zombies (or Unconsecrated as they are called in the book), heartbreak, death and loss. However in saying this I LOVED this book! It was amazing and brilliantly written. 

The world created by Carrie Ryan was absolutely fascinating. People lived in a small village whilst surrounded by fences and beyond those the Forest of Hands and Teeth, where the infamous unconsecrated live. Don’t be fooled these are zombies who are kind, gorgeous types that the protagonist could fall in love with, these unconsecrated are teeth baring, flesh eating and mindless zombies. They will go after anyone, including their former loved ones. 

We meet Mary, who has lived in this village her whole life. Her father had become one of the unconsecrated and Mary was the one keeping her mother together after his untimely disappearance. Until now, when her mother wanders to close to the fences and gets bitten by the unconsecrated therefore becoming one herself. Mary is left with her brother, who kicks her out of home for not looking after their mother appropriately. She then comes to live with the Sisterhood, where she learns the more than the ways of God. Secrets are unveiled and Mary begins to question everything she has believed her whole life. 

All the characters were realistic and unique and I loved them all. The one thing about this book that was slightly confusing was the romance. Mary was in love with Travis and had always been, but he was to marry her best friend Cass. Cass though is in love with Harry, Travis’s brother, who in turn is in love with Mary and betrothed to her. So with this love square, it kind of got confusing but then slightly intriguing to find out what was going to happen. 

The book was fast-paced, creepy, action-packed and suspenseful. Definitely not a book for those that are looking for a light and fun read. This is absolutely different from other YA novels out there and I recommend it to anyone who loves zombies and action. 

 Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

For more information about the author, Carrie Ryan, visit her at her official site here. 

For more information on the book go to Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book! I agree it is definitely creepy! :D I've read The Dead-Tossed Waves the second one and it gave me nightmares haha :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've heard so many great things about this book and I do have the book for review so I hope to pick it up soon. Great review. Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, I somehow started it unaware it was going to be a zombie book but ended up loving it!! I agree that the love square was quite interesting!

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I LOVE reading comments and seeing what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...